Wednesday, July 04, 2007

waiting, anticipating

Monday, October 09, 2006 at 6:15 PM BST

Only a day to go until this years Booker Prize winner is announced.

My reading experience is coming to a close.

I originally intended to read 9 titles from the longlist. I have read 6 of those. I addition I am currently reading the David Mitchell and still have to Jon McGregor to read next. From the shortlist I also read the Matar and the Grenville. A couple of books fell by the wayside never to pass my way. The only shortlister I didn’t get to read was the Desai - I shall save a curse in case it wins unread by me.

I have enjoyed all of the books in their own way - and have found reading them critically adds an extra dimension of connection with each novel.

Its hard to pick favourites when many repel comparison. But this would be my order of merit for the novels.

1) The Testament of Gideon Mack - James Robertson

2) The Perfect Man - Naeem Murr

3) Mother’s Milk - Edward St. Aubyn

4) Carry Me Down - M. J. Hyland

5) The Secret River - Kate Grenville

6) In the Country of Men - Hisham Matar

7) Theft: A Love Story - Peter Carey

8) The Night Watch - Sarah Waters

I mentioned before that my opinion often differs from that of the judging panel and no change this year. My two favourite books never made the shortlist cut. My favourite that stands a chance of the prize is therefore Mother’s Milk, but if either that or Carry Me Down win I will rest content for another year.

Until tomorrow then…

No comments: